WE'VE GOT THE WHOLE WORLD IN OUR HANDS

Inspire the children around you to read.  Nurture their creativity.  Guide them in caring about our planet.

Welcome to my 'Barefoot Journey' ....

Tuesday 26 June 2007

me and my machine




Here is a sample of the most often caught glimpse of my 3rd pebble.  She is constantly on the move having only recently mastered the fine art of walking.  Added to that is her frequent need to rush off to see Daddy now that he is home.  Yes, 'my rock' has returned after being away working for 3 weeks.  Sods law I guess that the computer broke down when he was away, but I did manage to get it fixed the day before he returned, so now I have some photos and news to share with you too.

Well we've been eyeing each other for what must more than a couple of weeks now. You know, that kind of interested but a little bit too scared to approach directly kind of eyeing. I was finally tempted into it by some gorgeous inspiration found here
(on Tif's recommendation)
and here 
I finally took the bull by the horns, so let me introduce you to my new 'friend'.......



The instruction manual was an experience in itself and thank goodness for diagrams. I felt like I was on an introduction course to a foreign language. "dropping the feed dog"?
hello? help!

A short while later (ahem - 2 hours later) I had made progress. A bobbin wound and a machine threaded and raring to go. 
Please note the empty glass of wine and devoured packet of twiglets (a woman needs sustenance in hours of need). OK, I'm not a complete numpty - I did partake in a 90 min phone conversation during that 2 hour period as well.

Here is some lovely material that I bought to attempt to make something simple but lovely. Hopefully next time I'll be able to share some success with you.


I can't help thinking that as an adult I am utterly rubbish at persevering and learning new skills. I watch my daughter as she learns about life.  Her repetition of activities until she perfects them is astounding (although sometimes quite tedious!). Apparently a baby will fall over an average of 244 times before they manage to walk for the first time. As an adult I don't think I'd cope well with that many failures, I'd probably give up after 10 or so attempts, and say "it's not for me". It just goes to show that if we apply ourselves to something with determination we can usually manage it. Lets hope it will work for me in cracking this sewing lark.

1 comment:

dottie angel said...

HURRAH FOR YOU!!! i am sooo proud of you and your little machine...doesn't pebble #3 look so sweet in her dress and doesn't that material look fabulous..ooh i can't wait to see what you make...those two books are the best you can get to start you on your way :)

counting the days until we see each other...Tif